Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dreams of Sicily

From the November 2004 issue of the Unofficial Unorthodoxed Newsletter

.

Do you think your dreams are trying to tell you something? I don’t know. I dream quite often and I wonder what dreams really are? Some say it’s your subconscious trying to tell you what’s really going on. Some think it’s just your body pulling together random events and thoughts from your day to make random images as you sleep. Others believe it’s the supernatural, giving you a window into your future.

.

Have you ever had one of those dreams where you realize it’s a dream? Those are pretty cool. And there are always the falling dreams and the slow motion dreams and those dreams where you’re trying to call for help, but you can’t say anything. Those suck. Sometimes I dream in movie format and sometimes it’s a cartoon. Sometimes it’s not even images, just feelings and emotions.

.

When I was young I had two recurring dreams, both of which were incredibly weird. In one I would swim through a swamp and talk to these two cartoon sharks. When I would get out of the water I was completely green. I don’t know why, but this dream kept me up night after night. I was really scared of turning green.

.

The other one was of this dog who had finger handcuffs in his mouth that when you’d put your finger in them it would cut your finger off.

.

I had an unusual dream just recently, a very vivid dream of running through the streets of Sicily naked.

.

These dreams are all pretty bad, but you’d be surprised at what my worst was. It was about three weeks ago and I still remember every second of it. It was at Drumlin in the parking lot. A misty evening and realistic to every level. The specifics are unimportant, but it was perfect in every way and accurate to every detail. It had everything I could ever want in life and put it within my grasp. I faced fears that in real life I was always too afraid to encounter and I did it in the same way I would if I could. Woven into the dream I found true happiness and cried with joy and praised the Lord out loud for giving me such luck. Not a scary dream at all you might say.

.

That morning when I woke up I was satisfied for once in my life. Happy that what needed to be done was finally completed and the repercussions of these actions would continue to radiate happiness for a very long time. I was happy in those blissful moments before truly waking up. And when I woke up I was angry for I realized that it was just a dream.

.

Nightmares are not only your fears, but also can be giving everything you’ve ever wanted and then mocking you since you can not have it. Maybe dreams are just one of God’s little mysteries. Maybe it’s better we don’t know what they are. Maybe they’re just little reminders in our everyday life that anything is possible.

.

Oh and Sicily is a very nice place to visit and I suggest it for any of your vacations.

No comments:

Post a Comment